Saturday 10 July 2021

Some progress

This is a slow boiler,  not too much steam yet. This week I completed a first pass of the space vehicles chapter. Space vehicles, not space ships, we're ditching the old nautical analogy. There's little point in creating yet another science fiction game if you just recycle every idea and slavishly follow every convention. I felt that making space vehicles their own thing and not "vessels" based on the ancient conceptual crutch would help develop a more unusual flavour. That said, I've slipped and used the word "ship" about a hundred times already. Some traditions are hard to ditch.


space vehicle sampler
I found some inspiration from an architectural practice that's already tackling the challenges of extra-terrestrial living.

https://saga.dk/projects

I really like the creative use of native materials -- creating artificial skies on the moon using sealed glass pools to shield the settlement from cosmic rays while providing light. Their efforts make me realise that taking an architect's perspective on the settlements and space colonies will add plausibility and some fresh ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More vehicles!

  Writing continues slowly, but the timeline is pretty much complete. I plan to get space vehicles completed soon and then character generat...